slideshow

Thursday 24 May 2012

Trying things out

I was doing some samples for my day job and came up with this. I think I'm going to have to make another to replace it now because I have a black lacquer frame languishing upstairs which I think will really suit this!
I did just that and made another in black and one with red bole showing through. One of my interiors clients likes it so much that they have commissioned me to do their formal salon in Rio de Janeiro in this finish with an arsenic green base colour. I've never been to Brazil before! I need to source most of my materials locally as their import duty is very high and restrictive.

this is a close-up of the texture. The colour in this picture is rather more peacock than the reality and those blue bits are actually white gold!

6 comments:

  1. It is a nice textural finish and the gold makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theresa. I can't wait to show it to my designers. Its a texture which has really caught my attention..I've done 5 different versions so far and I haven't got to using silver leaf yet!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Very cool.
    I can't tell- is the gold part of the texture or applied on top of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann
    this one has the leaf applied on top, but I've done many varieties of this finish now using a variety of techniques laying leaf under and over texture. Using patinating chemicals rubbing through and re-gilding in patches. I've also used pearlescent paint with glazes over the top which looks gorgeous and very much like silk (this weekend a client picked that finish for their bedroom).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just remembered where my initial inspiration for this came from! I have a lovely time on Pinterest - I find so much inspiration and meet fab creative people like Jenni/Sparklewren through it. There was a picture of gold lumetta tinsel pinned to a board for a party decoration and it set me thinking about re-creating the texture somehow.

    ReplyDelete