slideshow

Monday 7 March 2011

New work on the go

Like so many peoples my home is ever in a state of evolvement or in other words covered in dust thanks to my latest building project.
The first thing I did when we moved into our present home was knock down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to give us a much bigger kitchen (I do love the cooking) and a dining space so that when we do have the luxury of guests for dinner I'm not stuck in another room for most of the night. Three years later and I've finally boxed in the support beam.
However, being me I can't just paint it - no, I have to come up with a textured finish to run up the wall and along the beam. Then I thought, well I can't just have that because it will look disjointed so I'm going to do a large piece for the chimney breast in the dining area to go with it.
I really fancied something in a rippled antique silver and spent hours on the net looking for inspiration. I came across some beautiful ceramic mosaic tiles with an antique silver texture. Naturally they are well expensive so I started playing with texture pastes and metal leaf to get the feel.
I'm thinking of a great sweeping fracture running through this texture with amethyst and pyrite crystals errupting out of the vein. Around 1.4 x 1.4 meters square


4 comments:

  1. That is delicious. LOVE this, Love the silver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Brita,I can't wait to get stuck into it. I reckon the art peice will be finished before the beam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed when I read your description. I do the same thing here and, as a result, any renovation takes forever. We are in the kitchen now...

    I think I'm going to take the 1 1/2" diameter unfinished oak rod, stain it and then have silver leaf in the grooves of the oak. How plain compared to yours! ;]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, up until a couple of months ago I intended to do the walls in highly polished venetian stucco, but it really isn't the best thing to put in a kitchen so that walls are staying plain matt paint (very unusual for me :)
    Will you use real silver leaf? Where are the rods?

    ReplyDelete