slideshow

Tuesday 3 July 2012

My signature "mon"

these are my "mon" - signature tags which I apply to my larger work. The mon is a symbol used in Japan to represent a household in the same way as the coat of arms was used in europe.  I originally had them made for a guest wc I designed for my client using posished plaster (see the pictures below). I have 3 different designs which I use individually or in combination. I have a classic japanese chrysanthemum, an alchemists symbol which represents gold  and a design in which my namesake the swift flies through stylized waves representing my home by the sea.
Here they are gilded in 22 carat gold. The next process is to pick out the background in matt black.





2 comments:

  1. thanks Marlow. I did this room a few years ago, but only recently went back to take pictures. All of the walls are decorated with gilded water lilys, butterflies and weeping willow. There are more pics in the gallery of my website www.emilyswiftjones.com

    ReplyDelete